Hedrick Public Library was founded by a group of women, who in 1947, wanted to honor our servicemen. At the end of WWII the Amvet Auxiliary wanted to do something for the local men who lost their lives. So they started the Hedrick Memorial Library. In the beginning years the library was solely funded by donations and memorials, along with the use of a city building all books, shelves, and circulation desk were donated by the people of the community. A “Memorial Bookshelf” was put in place for books donated “In Memory”. The first books in this collection where: A Boy’s Own Book of Great Inventions, Crusades in Europe, MacArthur of Batan, The Deerslayer, Four Million Customers, and New of the Nation.